At Zizzle we look for stories that will surprise, move, and amuse young imaginative minds. We like fiction that dives deep into meaning and resists banality. We believe the moral, if any, of a great children’s story should evolve naturally from within and not be imposed from without. We embrace new perspectives to the nuanced joys and tensions facing children in their daily lives and imaginations. We are open to pieces that defy traditional storytelling. Tasteful humor and a strong voice always appeal to us. We also want to be surprised, moved, and amused — just as we hope our young readers will be.
Because we respect and admire our writers (and know how much goes into crafting a great children’s story) we pay professional rates for stories that are accepted for publication in our online and print issues.
We accept submissions year-round.
- Our target readers are children in grade 4 to grade 8 (age 9 to 14).
- Because we are writers too, we understand the need to accept simultaneous submissions. We only ask that you notify us promptly if story is accepted elsewhere.
- We welcome submissions from anywhere in the world, but stories must be written in English.
- Only previously unpublished works will be considered for publication.
- Word limit: 500 to 1,200.
- Only one story per submission. Please send us your best work.
- Please only submit typed, double-spaced manuscripts with 1” margins in 12pt font. Include the author’s name and story title in the header on every page.
- We would like to know a little about you. Please include on the first page of your submission the word count of your story, a print-ready, third-person bio (less than 70 words) with your brief cover letter.
- Only electronic submissions are accepted. We are unable to accept fiction submissions by post or email.
- Submissions are free. We cannot guarantee a response time as it will depend on the number of submissions we receive. A fast track, seven day response is available for $5 per submission. (Fast track does not imply a greater chance of acceptance.)
- We accept submissions for online and print editions on a rolling basis.
- We pay a flat rate of US $100 for each accepted flash fiction piece. The accepted piece will appear in our online or print edition, or both.
Visual art is also important to Zizzle and we are committed to promoting our artists and writers’ work through our website and ever-growing social media platforms.
Visual Art Submissions
- All artwork submitted will be considered for the cover or for inside the issue.
- Submit up to 10 low-resolution images, or provide a link to an online portfolio indicating which pieces you would like us to consider.
- Only submit artwork in jpg or pdf format (zip files are fine).
- For unsolicited artwork submissions, we pay a flat rate of US $50 per accepted art piece. The artwork will appear in our online or print edition, or both.
We are a paying market. While we may use the same piece of accepted work for both online and print editions, contributors will be paid once only for each piece of accepted work. Payment will be made after publication, and will be issued via PayPal and the contributor will be responsible for any associated fees, if applicable.
Online Rights: If we publish your story or artwork, we require exclusive electronic rights to it for twenty-four months and non-exclusive rights indefinitely for inclusion in our online archives.
Print Rights: If we publish your story or artwork, we require exclusive print rights to it for twelve months. After the twelve months, we require non-exclusive print rights for future print issues and promotional materials.
In all reprints, indicate “first published in Zizzle Literary Magazine.”
How to Submit
We look forward to seeing your beautiful work.
Please choose your submission options below, all submissions sent to us will be considered for both our online and print editions.
Submit for free
or guarantee a 7-day response with fast-track
Don’t miss out!
Follow us on Instagram
Subscribe to our newsletter
You will receive news about upcoming issues, contests, and events. We respect your privacy by not sharing your email with anyone, and we never spam.